Monday, January 11, 2010

A Big Thanks to a Good Friend

Rarely in our lives do we meet individuals who truly impact our lives in the most significant ways. Oh, there may be two or three along the way, but they are few and far between. One of those people in my life is a gentleman whom I’ve known for only a relative short period of time when viewed on the time-line of life. He moved into a corner of my life about eleven years ago and I immediately was impressed by his intelligence and at the way he carried himself. He is a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy; a nuclear submarine engineer; a retired U.S. Navy Commander; and he holds an earned Doctor of Ministry degree: All quite impressive. These however, are not the attributes that caught my attention. Immediately I saw this man as one who walks with God and one who knows not only in whom he believes, but also why he believes. I saw a man whose heart is filled with love for the church, her pastors and uncompromising truth. Over time, this man became my mentor. He allowed me the privilege to walk with him, talk with him, pray with him, and learn from him. He has challenged me when I needed challenged and has been a great encourager in both my life and ministry. He has been a stalwart during troubled times and in many ways I think I have felt much the same way Timothy and Titus must have felt in the presence of the Apostle Paul. Joseph K. Minton has been more than an Associational Missionary to me: He has been, and is my friend. J.K. has now officially retired as the Director of Missions for the Bluebonnet Baptist Association. He will continue in ministry, though in a more vocationally limited way, working with churches which are plateaued or declining. His lovely wife, Ruth, is one of the most gracious ladies I have ever met and she truly deserves more time with her man. Reva, our church and I wish J.K. and Ruth the very best of life in the days ahead and I look forward to some great golf lessons! As Robby Partain takes the mantle of ministry from J.K., we also wish him the best and look forward to working with him and the churches of the Bluebonnet Baptist Association for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment