Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Questions of Forgiveness and Judgement

Thank you who follow my blog. I agree with much that has been said and thank everyone for their comments (and Bill for finally signing up).

One problem that I often see as a pastor is Christians who know they have messed up never really ask for forgiveness. They assume that they haven't hurt anyone, or a least only a limited few. They may ask God for forgiveness and maybe the limited few, but they never consider that their actions often have far reaching effects. Extended family, church friends, and even fellow workers may have had their lives impacted by a negative decision or action of another, but we tend to ignore their pain. We hide behind our pride and never say, "I really messed up. Please forgive me for hurting you." We simply ignore the pain we've caused others and go into denial mode. We become paranoid that others are talking about us and run for cover. We may leave the church, break fellowship with relatives, or even move to another town to escape the feelings of guilt, when all that may have been necessary is to ask for forgiveness. I believe most are willing to forgive, and don't need to know all the gory details. A simple statement of repentance and request for forgiveness is usually enough. It might go something like this, "You know, I really messed up. I know I've hurt you and I am truly sorry. I ask you to forgive me and pray for me as I walk through this difficult time."
Other times I have seen Christians try to forgive those whom have hurt them, and the forgiveness is ignored or unaccepted. The lifeline is thrown out and the sinking Christian is so overcome by guilt, pride, or whatever that they are unwilling to reach out an take hold. The Christian offering forgiveness is then in a dilemma. Do I continue to try and forgive while being ignored, or do I simply give up and move on? Unfortunately, it is usually the latter.


Concerning judgement, we are not to judge the pagan. God alone knows the heart. However, the New Testament clearly teaches that the church is to maintain a high level of accountability among those claiming to be God's children. Speaking of Christians, Jesus said "By their fruit you will recognize them." (Mat. 7:20) We are accountable to one another for the fruit we bear. We are also accountable by the life we lead. Paul speaks judgmentally toward members of the church at Corinth in 2 Cor. 12: 20-21. Also, 1 Cor. 5 speaks directly to this issue. Please take time to read it in its entirety, but Paul completes this chapter with these words "What business is it of min to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked man from among you." In Acts 5, Ananias and Sapphira (both were a part of the church) were admonished by Peter for their behavior. To the young pastor, Titus, Paul warned, "Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him." (Titus 3:10)

Of course, the accountability we are to hold each other to is tempered by repentance and forgiveness. 2 Cor. 2:7-8 teaches that we must be ready to "forgive and comfort" those who repent so that they'll not be "overwhelmed by excessive sorrow" and that we should reaffirm our love for them. Galatians 1:1-2 says that when we have judged a fellow Christian, we should seek to restore them gently. In Thessalonians 5:15 Paul teaches that we should "never pay back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other."

So yes, we are to judge one another (hold one another accountable), not to our standards, but to God's. His word, the Bible is our standard of living. All of us fall short, but when we do we need to hold one another accountable: in a loving manner; striving toward forgiveness; and motivated by restoration.

3 comments:

  1. One thing I have learned about forgiveness is that you just need to ask for it if you have wronged someone. But don't excuse your actions. Never apologize and say "but this or but that" If you do that then you aren't really apologizing.

    Concerning judging; yes we are to judge fellow Christians by the fruit they bear. I think the defination of "fruit" comes into play on that. (No not Bannanas or Apples or Oranges) We know the Fruit of the spirit is described by many things self control etc.see Galatians 5:22-23 but the Fruit of the Spirit is LOVE. So if we Love is that how we are to be judged? and If Love is the standard is that how we should judge?

    I am all for holding one another accountable and I have done that with many of my Christian friends on more than one occasion. Sometimes when I do that it is met with an understanding of the accounability at other times it is met with anger and having that person never talk to me again.

    Are we willing to chance losing that friendship to help our Christian brother or sister grow?

    If you lose friendship over holding a Christian accountable for thier actions. You would have to ask yourself were they really a friend anyway? or was it all superficial? Or Was there any "fruit/love" there?

    Mitch I have messed up with you on more than one occasion and I have asked for Forgiveness. Thats not easy to do but it has to be done. What I have learned is the correct response when asking for forgiveness is to give it. Who am I not to forgive someone who wrongs me? Father forgave me and continues to forgive me "and of sinners I am chief"

    Bill<><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I believe the fruit of God's Spirit is indeed the love of God demonstrated in our lives. This love will also produce new Christians (ie the parable of the vine and branches, the good tree and the bad tree, etc.) So I also believe every Christian is called to be a soul winner.

    As we talk about forgiveness, we must also realize that true repentance and forgiveness are done with a spirit of contritness and love. God sees straight through the superficial and most people do also. Do I lovingly ask forgiveness with a repentant heart? Do I lovingly call sinful brothers and sisters into accountablity with a heart bent toward restoration? Do I forgive those who have offended me without seeking recourse? These are key questions as we consider unity within the body of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fabulous read this post and see that even though we know the words of God it's so hard to follow them and simply forgive others!
    More than just ask for it, it's necessary lay down our pride and fear and give a chance to the Holy Spirit of God lead us.

    Thank you so much Pastor Mitch for your words in this blog!
    I've learned about forgiveness as I never did eva! Sometimes i'm just shy to post a comment here because the people who do this (Bill for example) are really very very good with the words! I amn't so well like them...

    Anyways, I've been loving it all!
    Miss u so much!

    S2

    ReplyDelete